Receive Art from the Campus Art Exchange

How do I request artwork for my department or facility?
The Campus Art Exchange maintains a selection of available art from the Campus Art Collection. To request work: browse our gallery, note the “Object #” of the artworks you would like to request,  then complete the art request form.

Who can request a work of art?
An authorized representative (see definition below) of a UW-Madison department or facility may request an artwork. Artwork is not available to non-university departments or individuals.

How many artworks can my department request?
Your department or facility may request up to ten artworks per year. Depending on the number of artworks in the art exchange inventory and the interest shown by departments we may adjust this annual limit.  For now, we want to distribute art to as many different buildings as possible.

Does my department get to keep art received from the exchange?
Artwork received from the exchange is a “permanent transfer.”  In the future, your department may choose to return the piece to the exchange, but this is not required.

How do I decide which pieces are appropriate for my space?
We carry artworks ranging from high-quality, original pieces to posters and reproductions. No matter what type of space you wish to decorate (break rooms, hallways, conference rooms, etc…) we will work with you to identify artwork that compliments the space well.

Is the artwork framed and in good condition?
Most pieces are in good to excellent condition and can be installed right away. Some artworks may have minor imperfections (such as a chipped frame) and these imperfections are noted. A few pieces are currently unframed (this is noted in the description) and will require framing before they can be transferred to you  (see next FAQ below).

How much does it cost to receive art from the exchange?
At this time, there is no cost to receive artwork from the Art Exchange. However, if the piece is currently unframed, then you will be responsible for purchasing a frame prior to receiving the artwork.  We will work with you on making the necessary arrangements.

Can I come and see the artwork before I place a formal request?
The artwork is currently in storage and we don’t have the resources for in-person previewing. Let us know what additional info you may need and we will get back to you with the details.

How is the artwork moved and hung in my building?
Someone from the Campus Art Exchange will deliver and install your artwork. In some locations, and for some special artworks, it may be appropriate to use a special security clip to hang the art object. This security clip deters theft of the artwork.  In this situation there may be a charge for the installation.

Where am I allowed to hang the work?
Artwork must be hung in public spaces such as a hallways, common areas, or other gathering spaces such as conference rooms. Private offices are not appropriate spaces for the Campus Art Collection. Only UW-Madison buildings and departments are eligible.

I have some general questions, whom do I contact?
We can consult with you about your options, please refer to the Contact page.


Transfer Art to the Art Exchange

What artworks can be transfered to the Campus Art Exchange?
In general, artworks that are known to be owned by the university and are part of the Campus Art Collection may be eligible for transfer. Artworks in any condition can be offered. Some artworks may have restrictions on transfers, as part of the original acquisition agreement. Each work will be evaluated on an individual basis. We can help you determine your options.

Who can transfer artwork to the Campus Art Exchange?
An authorized representative may propose a transfer to the Art Exchange. Fill out the donation form and we will contact you.

Will I get my artwork back if I transfer it?
The Campus Art Exchange does not support short or long-term loans. Transfers to the Campus Art Exchange are permanent. The Art Exchange will make every effort to find a new home for the artwork on campus. If the work is determined to be irreparably damaged or unsuitable for public display, the Art Exchange reserves the right to deaccession works by sale or disposal.

Will my department receive proceeds in the event of a sale?
Under limited conditions artworks may be sold, such as when the Ad Hoc Campus Art Advisory Committee determines the piece is no longer appropriate for inclusion in the Campus Art Collection. Unless the terms of the original acquisition agreement specifies otherwise, the Art Exchange retains any proceeds from the sale of artworks and reinvests these funds in new acquisitions or care for the Campus Art Collection.

Definition of Terms

Ad Hoc Campus Art Advisory Committee: A group of faculty and campus staff with expertise in the fields of art, art history,  curation, and art management. This group provides advice to Facilities Planning and Management staff on matters related to the Campus Art Collection including:  art management policy and recommendations regarding acquisition and deaccessioning of artwork.

Authorized Representative: An individual or individuals with authority to make decisions on behalf of a department or facility. This may include a dean, director, staff or faculty member that has been designated by the department or organizational unit. A building manager may have the authority to make decisions about an artwork located in a common area within a facility.

Campus Art Collection: Artworks displayed in administrative and academic buildings are generally considered to be part of the Campus Art Collection. There are several other art collections at the university that are NOT part of the Campus Art Collection, including these units: Wisconsin Union, Chazen Museum of Art, and UW Hospital and Clinics Authority.  All artworks acquired with Wisconsin Percent for Art funds are managed as part of the Campus Art Collection.

Deaccession: Process for permanently removing objects from the Campus Art Collection.

Transfer: An authorized representative (see definition above) agrees to transfer an artwork to the Art Exchange. The Art Exchange has the sole responsibility for future placement, care, and disposition of the transferred artwork.